Started a new business but not sure where to start with your marketing? This super-quick list should help you on your way.
1. Create customer ‘personas’ – small summaries of who your ideal customers are, and target your marketing efforts to them.
2. Listen to your customers.
3. Have a professional-looking logo and website (essential!).
4. Make sure your website is kept up to date, images are good quality and spelling is correct.
5. Write a blog and use it to share helpful information.
6. Write a guest blog post and/or submit posts to large websites.
7. Keep an ongoing list of marketing ideas.
8. Create the most appropriate social media account(s) for your business, and use them.
9. Keep a database of email addresses. This can be as simple as a list in Excel.
10. Segment your database into customer types.
11. Send email newsletters.
12. If necessary, change the content of the newsletter depending on the customer type.
13. Give a discount or special offer, and promote it on your website, social media and email.
14. Ask customers for testimonials and referrals.
15. Sponsor a local event.
16. Get interviewed for a blog, magazine, newspaper etc.
17. Use SEO to drive traffic to your website (ask your web developer for help).
18. Make sure you’re listed on Google My Business.
19. Attend networking events – and remember they’re not all about selling your services.
20. Use business cards (yes, people still use them!).
21. Advertise using Google AdWords.
22. Advertise on social media.
23. Host an online workshop, webinar or deliver a free training session.
24. Write a press release – but it must contain an interesting story, NOT be a sales pitch.
25. Check out the competition to see what they’re doing right (and wrong).